When you are considering a move to a senior living community, understanding the different types of care and services can be more than a little confusing. Taking time to explore each of them will help you make an informed decision that you will be happy with now and in the future.
At many communities, including Sonata Senior Living, there are three distinct levels of care:
- Independent, resort-style living
- Assisted living care
- Memory care for adults with dementia
Each level of care at a senior living community provides different types of care, services, and amenities.
Independent Living at a Senior Living Community
An independent living community offers a lifestyle free from the burdens of home ownership. Residents trade lawn care and home maintenance for chef-prepared dining and a variety of life enrichment programs. At Sonata, we call it Viva Independent Living. Residents also enjoy and benefit from the following:
- Executive chef-prepared lunch and dinner menus
- Daily Continental breakfast
- Full service bistro bar, hair salon, and spa
- Fitness Center, dog park, water front pavilion and more
- Wellness Center with 24-hour nursing on site
- State-of-the-art emergency call system and resident check in system
- Overnight security
- Chauffeured individual and group transportation
- Weekly Housekeeping, flat linen service, and standard maintenance
- Deluxe kitchens with full-size appliances
- Apartments with balcony or porch with a view
- Basic cable WiFiinternet and local phone service
- Supplemental care such as a visiting physician, therapy, or home care services available
Assisted Living Care
Assisted living is often described as the best of two worlds: residents have their own private apartment but with the care and support they need to stay safely independent always close by. At Sonata, we call it Harmony Assisted Living.
The assisted living neighborhoods in our senior living communities offer the following:
- Chef-inspired entrees from which to choose at every meal
- Individual plan of care for each resident including the support of licensed nurses and certified caregivers
- Full calendar of events, programs, outings, and activities
- Weekly housekeeping, flat linen service, and maintenance
- Convenience of visiting physicians, onsite therapy and homecare
- Upgraded kitchen with full size refrigerator and built-in microwave
- Easy-to-access showers with enhanced lighting and retractable benches
- Basic cable, WiFiinternet, and local phone service
- Scheduled transportation for outings and appointments
- Emergency call pendant
Memory Care for Adults with Dementia
Memory care is designed to meet the unique needs of adults with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. By supporting an adult’s remaining abilities and helping them live productive days, memory care in a senior living community helps improve the quality of life for seniors with dementia.
We call our program Serenades by Sonata Memory Care. It is based on the Four Ps Philosophy:
- Purposeful design: Our dementia care environment is designed to promote peace and calm while also fostering freedom, independence, and confidence. Specialty lighting, color-coded cues, open floor plans, and security are just a few design elements you will find in Serenades.
- Person-directed care: Personalized resident care plans incorporate structured daily routines that promote success in adults with memory loss. It’s an approach that helps residents feel a sense of belonging that enhances quality of life.
- Live It Up programming: Our Live It Up approach to programming incorporates the seven dimensions of wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, vocational, social, spiritual, and environmental. Memory care residents enjoy stimulating daily activities designed to help them live their best quality of life despite their disease.
- Partnership with families: We consider residents’ families our families, too. Part of our commitment to families is helping them learn more about their loved ones’ disease and find ways to stay engaged and connected to their lives.
Senior Living in Central and South Florida
One of the most important steps to learning more about senior living is to visit several different communities in person. Take time to tour the campus and ask the staff questions about the caregivers, care, and community.
Sonata Senior Living has communities throughout central and south Florida. Contact the community nearest you to schedule a time to visit and see what resident-focused, vibrant senior living looks like!